The TCL Roku 4k is back on top as my recommended Smart TV for using an antenna. You can purchase this brand in various sizes (28 – 65 inches) from amazon, walmart, and target. Bestbuy has their own brand, Insignia Roku 4k.
The 4k model has faster hardware than the 1080p model. Even if you don’t use 4k, you will benefit from the better picture and faster menu navigation.
– HD Antenna Tuner – See my other antenna guides for more info on what Antennas work in the low signals areas (like where I live).
– Roku Apps – Roku has been a part of streaming tv since the beginning, as such, it has amassed a huge following from the major streaming networks.
– Pause and Rewind Live TV – Just plug in a USB flash drive to activate.
– 14 day TV Guide – *NEW feature* displays all your local TV listings.
– Smartphone remote control – Lose your remote? No problem, just open the phone app. You can also use your phone’s headphone jack for private listening of what is on the TV.
– Global search – You can search for a show across all your apps, including local antenna tv listings)
Between the ability to pause live tv from the antenna and the Hulu app, my need for a DVR is gone.