Back in 2018 when my kid was born, I got serious about air purifiers and fume extractors in my workshop. I designed my fume extractor using spare parts and a cheap mini filter meant for a smokeless ashtray.
It is finally time for an update. Here is my 2022 fume extractor!
My 2018 fume extractor worked well. I also have a large commercial one, but I don’t pull it out often because it takes up a lot of space on my workbench. I liked how small mine was, powered by USB and perfectly sized for the small electronics work I do.
However, I do have some gripes that built up over the years.
- There was no on/off switch, so I have to unplug the USB after each session.
- The airflow was not great, only really worked if I had my circuit flush with my fume extractor. ~1cm
- Lastly, because the circuit board had to be so close to the fume extractor, it also blocked my overhead lights. Slowing me down.
I finally got around to making a new fume extractor. My 2022 fume extractor:
- Has a larger fan for more airflow
- Uses the same smokeless filter
- On / Off switch
- Lights !!
- Looks a lot better :D
In testing, the max distance from my iron is now ~2-3 cm. Great improvement !
3D Files: https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/120535-solder-fume-extractor-w-lights